If you get a notice because of inconsistency in your ITR (Income Tax Return), you would now be able to certify or explain your case on the web without dealing with the Income Tax Department face to face. Further, if you have replied the department’s inquiries acceptably, your ITR may not be taken up for details investigation. The Ministry of Finance issued a notification on 22nd February. It will set up a centralized communication centre, under the Centralized Communication Scheme 2018, which will complete this assignment.
According to the notice, this centre will be approved under section 133C of the Income Tax Act, 1961. To send a notice to citizens requesting that they confirm the data accessible to the income tax experts.
Chetan Chandak, Head of Tax Research, H&R Block India said, “In the presented Centralized Communication Scheme, 2018, the centralized communication centre will have forces to issue an e-notice to any people. This notice will expect him to furnish data or records in his ownership in machine-readable form, with the end goal of confirmation of data which might be valuable for or important to any request or continuing under this Act. In any case, the procedural details are yet to be advised by the division.”
Citizens will profit in two ways:
- It would save those trips to the income tax office.
- They will persuade an opportunity to be heard by the income tax department before procedures start.
How it will work
“PAN cards are issued to an individual or some other people by the Income Tax office. Therefore, even if you don’t file your ITR, the IT division is following your financial transactions based on your PAN. The division can send you the notices according to segment 133 and 133C to furnish required data with a specific end goal to evaluate whether your case must go under further investigation or not. In this way, if your case falls in the undetermined category, at that point the tax department can send you to see for filing ITR under various sections such as 142(1) or 148 etc.,” said Abhishek Soni, CEO, tax2win.in, a tax documenting site.
In situations where the IT department has maverick, individual particular data which does not match with the peoples announced or isn’t reflected in his ITR, at that point the department will send a notice to the person. This notice will request that the individual clarify the discrepancy with records. If the IT department is happy with the archives and clarification, at that point the ITR may not be taken up for detailed examination.
“Segment 133C enables the endorsed specialist to ask (a citizen) for the records or some other data to contrast and check and the data accessible to the tax department. The data gave by the individual will be the central factor whether a further inquiry would be started against the said individual or not. This means the data given you will choose whether your recorded ITR will go under investigation or not,” said Soni.
Income tax authorities should follow specific rules while sending notices requesting additional data from citizens.
- The notice will be sent through email or by putting it on the e-filing account of the client. An SMS will be sent to the client telling him about the notice on his e-filing account.
- The individual or his representative won’t be required a personal appearance at the centralized communication department for procedures.
- All the reports and data to be furnished by the individual is required to be sent in indicated formats. However, the format is yet to be told by the department.
- To guarantee compliance with the notice sent, the specialist can send you additional messages, SMS, letters soon, as updates for the notice sent to you. You may even get calls from the office reminding you about the notice sent to you.
- The notice will be issued with a digital signature of the assigned expert.
“The centralized communication centre will do the preparatory level of examination and check identifying with any request or continuing under this Act and may make accessible the result of such handling to the Assessing Officer for additionally activity. This is a stage forward in the direction of jurisdiction-free/ face-less assessment,” said Chetan Chandak.